Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Tail of the Half-Nekkid Kitty

You've all met Miss Sophie before. She's my very sweet girl-kitty with a large amount of long hair. Well, summer in Texas has not been kind to Sophie. She goes outside to play and rolls around in the dirt. The consequences of massive shedding + dirt rolling = pretty bad matting.


Today I took Miss Sophie to the groomer. I have NEVER had a cat groomed. One of the reasons I'm so fond of cats is they usually tend to be self-cleaning. But the matting had gotten to the point that it was no longer healthy. So now I have a half-nekkid cat....with a lion's tail.


The neckerchief was a bonus.

It's amazing how much smaller she looks without all that hair. I just hope all the neighborhood cats don't laugh at her.

On the sewing front, I uncovered a bunch of blocks and pre-cut strips from a Thangles demo we did at a quilt show a few years ago. We demonstrated regular and big Thangles and made Lady of the Lake blocks.



I discovered about 15 complete blocks, some random half-squares and a large pile of strips already matched up and ready to sew. So I have been doing mindless sewing making Thangles and here's the pile ready to cut. I'm not sure if I will go ahead and piece more blocks or just pack them away for later. Depends on the mood of the day, I suppose.


I guess tomorrow will be spent cleaning a little and getting Audrey ready to leave for church camp on Monday morning.


6 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Oh poor poor kitty!! It pains me to see all that beautiful hair gone. Yikes! As the mommy of two long haired boys, I swear the combing never ends around here! It's tough to keep them brushed and matt free although their breed doesn't tend to mat as much!

Love your recent quilting ventures. The RW&B blocks are wonderful all done up together!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Lois R. said...

What a pretty kitty -- sorry to see her shorn, but I'm sure it is necessary. I have been thinking of having my long-haired old boy, Sasha, groomed because he struggles more and more with the hairballs as he gets older. But I hate to put him thru the humiliation of being shaved...

1:35 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

The lion's tail is cute... hope sofie doesn't get a sun burn now that she's more bald....

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sophie looks really cool! Actually much prettier than my shaven Peri...not so pink and squishy.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh isn't finding things ready to sew like that fun! And mindless sewing is so much fun sometimes! These are going to be great!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I think you have an 'Up-Town' cat now. And she looks totally younger too. The hairdresser should do that for everyone. I love your quilt blocks. There's nothing like the classics.

Melanie

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home