Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Scrappy Monster

Well, here's a shot of the scrappy monster in all its glory. I had to have 2 girls stand on chairs to fit it all in the frame!



Here's a closeup of the blocks. As you can see, there is every type of fabric under the sun in this quilt. I used no planning, layout or care regarding fabric color or pattern when piecing the blocks together. I have several friends and customers who almost go into epileptic shock when I tell them this - "Oh, I could NEVER do it that way!" Why? Why is scrappy so hard for some people? I'm not trying to talk down about those people....I just truly don't understand it. If the intent from the get-go is to use the everything and the kitchen sink, wouldn't you just make yourself crazy trying to have it make sense all along? I even told one friend that in order to get over her scrappy-phobia, she should try to make the blocks as UGLY and MISMATCHED as she could! Her eyes lit up and she said that she thinks she might can do that. Perhaps if she is not TRYING to create a matched masterpiece of each block, she'll end up with one by accident. Again, this is one of life's mysteries that I am trying to understand.
Since the quilt was 84" wide, I needed some filler blocks to expand the backing. So, there's more blocks slithering down the back. The green was something I had on hand (I needed 6 yards), and I quilted it with variegated thread, hoping to get a nice design on the back. It's currently on the bed, and but it's still kind of stiff since I only washed it once. I bet it will get nice and soft after a few more washings....


Time to go. It's "Family Fun Night" which means I make EVERYBODY accompany me to the grocery store. If I have to suffer through it, so can they. The upside is we get to eat out first!

Susan

17 Comments:

Blogger Shelina said...

This is such a gorgous quilt. I think before I knew I couldn't make something like that, because you really need a variety of scraps to make a quilt like that. I think now I have that variety. I need to make this.
The other option is to control the scrapiness of it - as most recent scrap quilts books recommend. Both ways have merit, and so I must try to make a quilt both ways.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Ah, yes - THIS is what I need to make with my large drawer full of 1 1/2" strips. Shouldn't take all that long either! I think I will put more fabrics in each strata - maybe 5, and cut the blocks at 5 1/2". I figure there's enough in that drawer for at least two quilts.

When our kids were little we had a family night out like that - the last working day of every month which was payday. Fast food hamburgers, then shopping for a month's of groceries. We were so broke that was our monthly entertainment - the only thing we could afford to do.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Elaine Adair said...

Hey - I LOVE it! What fun to know you were so thrifty -- just like the quilts of old. And how entertaining to gaze at the finished quilt, to check out the fabrics, pictures, how the colors work, or don't work, next to one another. Congrats on the end project and your courage to just "get 'r done."

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This quilt is so great - love the strip of leftovers on the backing too. Early in my quilting life I matched everything which made life really stressy. I can now make a scrap quilt and love the process as well as the finished article. For some it's a learned skill. Scrappy quilts evoke a more homely kind of feeling.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

WOW!! What an AWESOME quilt!!! Awesome inspiration too! Thanks sooo much for sharing this one with us.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

What fun! What fun! What fun! I love it...great inspiration.

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love scrappy. Your quilt is a thing of beauty.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Susan - This is absolutely wonderful!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Rae said...

Your pic of the whole quilt did not come through. But what I can see otherwise it must be dazaling.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great to me!
There used to be a quilt shop online that would save pieces of every fabric that they brought into the store that year, and they would then design a quilt.
They called it an anniversary quilt.
Really cool to look back on it and see the fabric trends over the last few years. The patterns were always simple, and the kit sold to customers was always under $100 but that was always the box I looked forward to receiving the most from the UPS man.

Sadly, that store has closed and the "anniversary quilts" are no more ....... but ........

Know anyone who might "give it a go"?

9:25 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Nice!

I don't get it either - especially when they (A) only work with 1 type of fabric or (B) can't even go scrappy WOW backgrounds...

I on purpose go scrappy so that I can (A) use what I have & (B) not worry about running out.

The last quilt that I did with 1 background - I only have 2.5 x WOF leftover! Not a good feeling until I have the thing pieced completely!

Again lovely! She is an expression of your stash.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Lois R. said...

It looks gorgeous!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Great job of just mixing everything up into a wonderful quilt! I love my scrappy quilts and finding a scrap from this quilt or that quilt or dress... some of my very favorite sentimental scraps are now very tiny and I still try to incorporate at least a 2" square somewhere! How fun to have this on your bed and revisit past projects!

Cheers!

Evelyn

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Quilt!!! The scrappier the better. I love making quilts like this. The more fabrics the yummier they look.

Well done.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Cher said...

my kind of quilt- no problem for me to do total scrappy...love how you quilted it.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

I taught one of my friends to do patchwork, and she is currently sewing hexagons. She sort of started with no plan, and has stalled because of stress over fabric choice. She is a bit of a perfectionist. I suggested she cut up everything she had, matching or not, put them in a bag and pretend she is a poor housewife in the Depression and just pull out whatever. She reported back to me yesterday that she has all the fabric in the bag, but hasn't been able to do it LOL! It will be interesting to see if she can do it.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Roslyn said...

Love your scrappy monster!
Roslyn

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home