Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Wonderful World of Ikea
Okay. So maybe I'm a little behind (har..har...I just wish I had a little behind...). Today Audrey and I went to Ikea. There's one in Frisco - about 20 miles away and it's been open about a year, but we've never been.

Audrey has been begging for a bedroom "makeover" for a couple of years, but I've been putting her off because she's such a slob that I've been hesitant to put a lot of money into something that she's not going to take care of. I think we're about ready to seriously invest, and we went to Ikea to look over wall units/storage solutions.

She's also been asking for a new bed. The bed she had was a wooden Jenny Lind spool-type bed and even though it fits the "style" of our house, she never really liked it. So, while browsing the entire store, we looked at beds to see what kind of style she wanted.

Lo,and behold, we spied this bed on sale for $29. Since I wasn't sure if the slats of her old bed would fit, I went ahead and splurged another $29 for the Ikea slats. And we broke down the old bed and put this one together ourselves!

I made her put this quilt on the bed - she liked it when I made it, but she doesn't like it anymore. She's now thinking about doing her room in black and white with a greyish tone of purple (yuk...). Maybe if I wait long enough she'll come up with something else! I'm not opposed to the black and white - I just don't think the grey-purple accent is going to work. We'll see. Her room makeover will be a major ordeal - we need to replace the flooring, repair the sheetrock cracks, paint, find new window covering options and replace the light fixture. It will probably be Spring before we start. I'm hoping the new bed will hold her for a while.

But I can see us going back to Ikea for more fun ideas......

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ikea is great for lots of storage options - and it is so much easier to keep a room neat and tidy if you have a place to put everything! A new bed is progress for a new room make-over, so step 1 is done!

Cheers!
Evelyn

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how one project leads to 10 others...you cna't ever just do 1 thing. We're getting an IKEA in Orlando the end of this year and I can't wait. Everyone says they are wonderful.

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really wish we had an Ikea here. I have seen a lot of stuff I love in their catalogues but I don't like to buy without actually seeing. Sounds like a major reno in your future. Yikes!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Carol E. said...

What a bargain! A bed for $58!! Love the quilt, too. Keep us posted on the redecorating. I might try some myself this next summer. ('Might' being an important word in that sentence.)

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in love with IKEA. I took my daughter (15) there to look for a new bed, but we could not agree on anything. We have an antique sleigh bed for her, but it needs to be refinished and I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

I have had an almost 2 month break from blog world due to Computer problems, illness, & a short 4 day vacation. So I am trying to catch up on my reading. I did get to sort of keep up on reading during my breaks at work but had no time to comment. At any rate I would like to say a few things.
- Love the Christmass Post cards
- I'm sory to hear about your friend. I know that they are more then just friends, they are family.
- I keep track of my projects on an Xcell spread sheet. The spread sheet is 10 pages long. You did better on finishing projects then I did this past year. I promised myself that I would do better this year.
- lastly I love the quilt on the new bed.

11:05 AM  
Blogger cityquilter grace said...

when you say gray and purple, i immediately envision an amish quilt, and add a third color and wham, you've got a super quilting opportunity there...like maybe a seafoamy green or maybe a lavender, etc. i work with solids a lot so that was my first though.. i can see it now.... a center diamond style or bars, which is easy to assemble....and tons of gorgeous quilting...mmmmm

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home