Monday, December 18, 2006

Postcard Q&A

I've received several questions regarding my Christmas postcards - but all comments were sent "anonymous" so I can't respond directly. Let's see if I can cover all the bases.

1. All 29 postcards were made the same. I saw the design in one of the books on fabric postcards at the shop. I didn't make a design template; I just eye-balled (or "free-eyed" as my friend Sarah says) the placement of the strips and the star.

I figured that since I had a boatload of cards to make in a day or so, I didn't have much time to be individually creative. I had to find a groove and stay in it.

2. All the elements were fused to a background cut 4-1/4" x 6-1/4" and then top-stitched with a straight stitch.

3. I used Fast-2-Fuse cut 4" x 6" in the middle of the card. This product is like Timtex, except it already has the fusible on it. I fused the face of the card to the Fast-2-Fuse before I stitched the design elements down.

4. I made postcard backings out of cardstock. I then fused the cardstock to the back side of the Fast-2-Fuse.

5. I then trimmed everything flush with a rotary cutter and buttonhole stitched the edge.

6. After I finished the edges, I applied hot-fix crystals to the star.

7. I took the cards to the post office with regular 39 cent stamps and had the cards hand-cancelled. Of the 3 people I've talked to who received them, 2 people had some crystals missing. Don't know if I didn't apply enough heat (I was kind of in a hurry!) or if crystals just don't mail well. Further field-testing will be required.

Maybe tomorrow I'll snap a pic of some other cards I've made.

Good night!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you show the back of one of the postcards?

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your cards are great and much more personal than the usual shop bought variety :-)

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your postcards!! They are rather addictive, aren't they? Nothing like a little immediate satisfaction! Have a wonderful Xmas!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Wasie said...

I would be afraid to mail them without the crystals! I am impressed that they actually can be mailed! And for only 39 cents. I have been afraid to put all that work into one only to "lose it in the mail." I would love to see some of your other variations.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great postcards. They are such fun to make.

Cheers
Helen in NZ

5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home