Monday, June 26, 2006

The Story of Okra

Being a true Southern gal, I love fried okra. Not that breaded stuff you get in restaurants - the real homemade deal. But it's so expensive at the grocery store. I grew up with a mom who loved to vegetable garden and know for a fact that okra grows like a weed and is as prolific as rabbits. How hard could it be to grow okra?

Last spring, I decided to plant a few okra plants to see what would happen. I put them in a flower bed (I had no other place for them) and Russ "weeded" the plants out the next week. He hasn't lived that one down yet.

So, this year, he's all into it and decides to try some more okra plants. Made his own "vegetable" bed on the west side of the house and has been babying his plants.

Here's our first crop.....


I refuse to cook just one.

But, there are more buds, and we're hoping the plants explode so that we can gather a "mess" of okra in a week or so. I'll keep you posted.

On the sewing front, I made more Lady of the Lake blocks for a total of 24.

To avoid trying to match all those seams, I think I'll put 1" sashing in between, add a border, and call it done. I have enough pieces/parts to make a whole 'nother quilt, but I'm thinking not. I'll just stash those parts for another day and another plan.

6 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I am not a big okra fan, but I do hope you enjoy yours. Love your Lady of the Lake blocks!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I love okra too and it's hard to grow it here in KY. The growing season here isn't quite as long as it is in south Louisiana. Your one okra reminds me of DS' crawfish story. We moved here when he was 9 and one day he found a crawfish hole in the back yard. He fished out the crawfish, brough one puny little mud bug into the house and said "mom, can we cook him?"

Love your Lady of the Lake blocks. I think you're a wise woman to use sashing! :)

Judy L.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Smart girl with the sashing idea!!!!What else is in the the garden?
Melanie

5:26 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

This is one of my favorite blocks. They look great! Sashing should be smashing! :-O :-)

4:27 PM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

So are you going to use scrappy strips to sash with, in the colors of your larger triangles? Or stick with one color? I like the layout so far.

I think you should plan some soup or stew, and cut the lone okra up into it. :)

1:53 AM  
Blogger MARCIE said...

This is a great scrappy quilt. I hope you will post the quilt when it is completed. I made one with a block exchange group and it is my favorite. Different from yours,but also very nice. Neat setting on yours!

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home