Sunday, April 02, 2006

It's Done!.......

.....the quilting on the orchestra quilt, that is. It's been a long, hard week, but the binding, sleeve and label should be gravy from this point. I'll post a picture once it's bound. I must say - this quilt has challenged me and my skills on so many different levels. I've been quilting on "autopilot" for a long time and haven't taken the time really stretch. I know I've complained about it a lot here, but I am proud of myself.

So, since there's not a picture of that quilt, how about a picture of this one?


Debbie flopped this quilt top on my desk this week. My first questions was "Is this a present for ME?". After a good laugh and a resounding "NO!", I was invited to look at it a little bit closer.











A client of Debbie's dropped this off for her to baste. It was hand pieced by her grandmother back in th 50's or 60's. The client is (who has NEVER hand-quilted) plans to hand quilt this top.





The kicker? The individual pieces are a 1/2" finished.

Oh vey.


Susan

8 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I wonder if she will actually finish the hand quilting? (I think it would be hard for an accomplished hand quilter to do squares that small!) What a way to use up all of your scraps!

10:25 AM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

Geesh, how big did that finish at? I couldn't tell from the top picture if it had a border or not.

and I couldn't help but think... that many little pieces, grandmother probably pieced it in the 50's AND 60's :D

9:12 PM  
Blogger Cher said...

wow...I really like this quilt-hope she enjoys the hand quilting of it!

1:48 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Wow, that is really pretty! Such tiny pieces...... and scrappy!

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I'd handquilt this one - all those seams! I think I'd just back it and use it as a summer throw. Isn't it gorgeous! What a wonderful gallery of different fabrics from that era.

8:34 PM  
Blogger dot said...

This quilt could make one dizzy. What a neat cute but alot of tiny tiny squares.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh my gosh! This is an amazing quilt! I'm so glad you shared it! But all those seams for hand quilting! It will be beautiful though when it is done!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Quiltgranny said...

WOWOWOWOWOW OH WOW!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home