Friday, March 24, 2006

Quilt Show Finale and Other Ramblings

Here's the finale on pics from the quilt show.


This quilt intrigued me because of the tiny slivers of fabric that made up the vertical panels. You can barely see it, but there was a flower pot and flowers made using threadplay. It didn't really work for me (I found it distracting), but overall, the quilt was pretty fun.











Here's a closeup of the strips (and some of the obnoxious quilting). The strips finished to about 3/4".













This geese in the cabin quilt caught my eye because it is constructed similarly to Bonnie's Pineapple Blossom (but with the "blossoms" only in one direction). You can't tell, but many of the fabrics - including the 'lights' were batiks.












Closeup of a couple of the blocks - in case you want to draft your own....











We got our March autoshipment of books from C&T today. I try to bring new books home in the evening to look them over so that I can familiarize myself with content and techniques.

I must say, this book absolutely captivated me. It has the most incredible quilts made from a single fabric and triangles to make kaleidoscope blocks. The method to cut the fabric is kind of Stack-n-Whackish, but the end result is much more spectacular. I'm totally hooked. Now, where in my queue of projects is this going to fit in? I'm in BIIIIIIIG trouble. If you'd like to read more about this book (and see a few sample quilts) click here.

Tomorrow should be interesting at the shop. You know how messy our sewing rooms are because we'd rather "do" than spend time tidying up? Well, our back room at the shop is suffering from the same fate. When we moved into our bigger space 20 months ago, the room looked HUGE! Everything fit nice and neat. As busines has picked up, things have literally been tossed back there. There is an 8' table that has piles of stuff on top of other piles of stuff. It's time to invest in more shelving so that things can be more organized. My husband has offered to help tomorrow. Do I need to say more? Hopefully I can post before and after photos tomorrow.

Stay tuned,
Susan

4 Comments:

Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

Woo hoo! I'm glad you posted about this book as I have had it on back order at AQS for several weeks. I can't wait to get it, but I guess I'll have to now won't I? Thanks for the info.

10:10 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I agree about that flower pot... (I did like the flowers though becasue they blended more... The pot looks like a stain!) Is the color "green" like the whole picture or scrappy like the close up. I definately like the whole shot quilt better!

Good luck with the organizing... (The new shelves look good - hopfully they are sturdy enough - my personal shelves were not...)

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh-oh, that book looks like it could suck me in!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Wasie said...

OMG! That book has my name written all over it! I looove stack-n-whacks and that is too cool.

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home