Monday, April 02, 2007

The Latest Finish

Bonnie over at quiltville.com recently posted her method for making spider web blocks. The week of the Dallas quilt show, I made a couple of test blocks. This past week I went ahead and finsihed the whole quilt. It's not very big - about 47" square, but done is done.

What do you think about this horrid orange? When making the test blocks, I pulled a hunk of solid from my stash. Instead of starting over when I decided to make the quilt, I went ahead and kept using it. It's the hunk of fabric that would not die- I still have a little over 2 yards left!

Remember those 3" rail blocks that I kept making after I finished the rail quilt? And I wondered why on earth I kept making them? Serendipty! Those blocks were the basis for the piano key border. I think I only had to make 12 or 15 additional blocks.

Don't you just hate those quilts that finish between 42" and 50" wide? I'm ususally too thrifty to cut that second length, so I split the fabric on the fold and usually piece something in.


Here's where serendipity comes in again. I had a stack of crumb blocks almost finished so I finished up 9 of them to go down the middle of the backing. It still wasn't wide enough, so I added a couple of pre-cut 3-1/2" strips down the sides of the blocks. I must say it was quite fun to be able to use pre-made and pre-cut things for this quilt - even if they weren't intended for this purpose.

I came THIS close to throwing out the leftover strings in the bucket when I finished this project. I swear, the bucket looks fuller than when I started. And it seems like all the same fabrics are still in it! And it's not like I don't have tubs of strings from the last 15 years, too. Why can't I throw anything away? It's a sickness! How on earth am I supposed to use this stuff up? I'll leave you with that rhetorical question....

15 Comments:

Blogger Joyce said...

The orange works really well with the strings and I am impressed with how you did the back. It's almost as interesting as the front. I'm sure the strings will come in handy sometime. Most quilters believe that scraps multiply in the dark.

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this quilt! The orange fabric really makes the other fabrics pop! I would have never used the orange there but it really works!
Well you could always do what I do when I have had enough with my scraps or left over blocks I give them to a friend for them to use or I mail them as a surprise to someone I think will treasure them like I used too!
Kathie in NJ

5:58 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I feel SO much better that someone else shares the same sickness! I cut up strings...or yoyou circles ..and if the pieces are WAAYYY to small, I stuff a dog bed! I also like to piece backs...well...lets say I like pieceD backs..I'm not WILD about actually figuring them OUT..just DONE! good job with the orange! Hard color to love it you are not an 'orange' person.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

You couldn't possible throw anything away when you can make something this pretty with it. Great job-and I'd be too thrifty to but more lengths as well. Tracey

9:16 PM  
Blogger atet said...

It does seem like all of those scraps simply multiply, even when you are trying to use them. It's even worse when you KNOW you are about to add to the pile! But look what lovliness you created with it. I love the orange -- really makes everything pop.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

That is a gorgeous quilt, and I think your answer to that rhetorical question is in that quilt. You save the scraps so you can make beautiful quilts with it. That's not a sickness, that's being thrifty and wise.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Hey, the orange that wouldn't die works great in this quilt. Perhaps you should name it the Jack Benny quilt, because everything about it was so 'thrifty'. I think I must have jack Benny 1, Jack Benny 2.....

Also, I loe the way the crumbs worked on the back!

7:08 AM  
Blogger tami said...

I love the orange. I think it adds definition to the quilt. It's great the way you have used up so much to finish this. An inspiration to us all.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The orange makes the quilt! It wouldn´t have been my first choice either but it´s nice you were brave enough to dare. How did you quilt it? With the machine? At any rate the back is gorgeous too. It reminds me of what Gwen Marston does. Take care.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Who ever said we are supposed to use this up? Just like the mythical quilt police - there are no "use it up police" either. After all, think what fun you'd miss if all of this was used up?

I adore the orange quilt!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Actually, it doesn't look like a true orange to me. It looks more like a reddish orange. I actually like the colour. :)

Found your blog when doing a search for Fort Worth Quilt Show. I'm fairly new to the quilt scene, but I really enjoy it. :)

4:00 PM  
Blogger dot said...

I like the orange, I thought it was red. I think it makes the quilt look like it was made way back when. This really turned out nice. I like how you used left overs to make the beautiful quilt.

9:11 AM  
Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

Love the orange/red, and the quilt is just wonderful. I've just gotta make a string quilt soon.

6:21 AM  
Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

When I took Mimi Deitrick's Baltimore Applique there was another quilter there who's motto was "orange is a neutral." She eventually wore me down and now I have a shelf of orange fabrics in my stash! I love how it sets off the other fabrics in your quilt...maybe she was right?!

5:23 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Great quilt - and creative use of "left-overs"! I've been sewing clothes alot lately and have accumulated a new type of scrap pile - which set me to thinking about how women used to have to even piece scraps of fabric together to get a piece big enough for some of their quilting. I think we are lucky to have such big scrap piles to choice from! Why "use it up" if it brings us so much happiness?

Cheers!

Evelyn

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home