Sunday, October 01, 2006

Good Intentions

It appears that I have the best intentions regarding blogging - but it's only happening about once a week.

Last Sunday I attended the Plano Balloon Fest with Russ - he's on the "Moo Crew" and we help out each year. The festival was pretty much a complete bust - the temperature was great, but the wind was too much to fly. We did decide at the last minute (once the winds died down a little) to inflate the small balloon on the field for the crowd. We have a giant cow balloon (otherwise known as the "big" balloon), but there's no way we could have held her down with the winds.



On one of my many trips to the post office this week, Audrey and I saw this hawk on the field next to the PO. A guy in his truck said he saw it zoom in over the freeway and zero in on a mouse in the grass. We watched the hawk play with it for a minute or two, but traffic was backing up behind us and we had to go. It was surreal to see a predator bird do his work at 6:00 in the evening!


I took a couple of days off this week (burnout is certainly knocking on MY door!) and after I did a few chores, I began playing with my 2-1/2" strip bin. Before I knew it, I had a complete quilt. It's Bonnie's Strip Twist pattern! And it all came from my stash.

I'm now playing with her Scrappy Bargello pattern. I have 2 and a half panels done....It's great to sew for fun again. I know it won't last, but I'll enjoy it while I can.

Have a great week,
Susan

10 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

I love your string quilt. It really is beautifull.

11:00 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

quilting always seems a great stress break, especially if your close to burnout. Hang in there

12:02 PM  
Blogger Hedgehog said...

Love that scrappy quilt! The hawk picture is pretty cool, too!

1:18 PM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

Ohh, great pictures! I like the colors you've used in your scrappy twist quilt - it's amazing how different they all look, even though they're with scraps and the same pattern! Now you're making me want to try one in pastel scraps.... *thinking*

And the hawk picture is soooo cool! I'd see something like that and have left my camera at home... lol

1:33 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Wow, a hawk let you get that close to take a photo?! Me too, I'd have left my camera at home.
I so admire your ability to make a whole quilt top in one day. One of these days, I am going to be able to surprise everybody with "what I did today" pictures like that, but for now, it seems like a pipe dream.

6:30 PM  
Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

Your scrap quilt is simply amazing, all from scraps and it makes for such visual impact. Your hawk photo is amazing, too, really a great photo. Love his stout "furry" legs.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Tazzie said...

I love your strip twist quilt, it turned out wonderfully ... it's like looking into a kaleidoscope!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

7:45 PM  
Blogger Gail said...

The quilt turned out so well! And the balloon looks like fun (She says with feet planted firmly on the ground)

5:44 AM  
Blogger Nines said...

OOOoooo... Wow! I wish "that before I knew it" I'd have a quilt top done! Good for you! I've seen Bonnie's, but I must say I like yours even better- I am a sucker for orange, so that might explain it! I just love this one and now I might need to try it. Great! Just what I don't need! Another quilty project! But thanks for the inspiration!

3:47 AM  
Blogger Carol E. said...

The quilt dances! Love the hawk picture, too. I see hawks around here as I drive home, but they're always sitting on top of light poles; I never see them in action. How cool that you had your camera at hand.

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home