Friday, September 08, 2006

Expectations vs. Reality


Did you ever have one of those visions in your head that just DID NOT turn out like your mind's eye? It happens to me more often than I'd like - and here's another example.

I've had this idea for a new kit sample percolating around in my head. I've done all the math (you have to think ahead if there's a chance that you'll kit the quilt to sell). I had a plan. I made 6 blocks and went BLECHHH.

I know what's wrong. There's too much contrast. I recognize that now. I should have known that before I ever cut a piece of fabric. I was just too tired to think straight and too anxious to start. I have 6 blocks completed and another 24 completely cut and subcut ready to go. Now what do I do? What's my time worth? Should I finish what I started, even though it won't work out for my purposes, I don't like it, and I don't even want it personally? I'm thinking not. I should just cut my losses and move on. But it bugs me on a deeper level to completely abandon a project. But I know it's for the best, and I have a friend who is willing to take it off my hands.

It's kind of like ripping off a bandaid. Do it quickly and minimize the pain.

Back to square one......


Here's another project I plan to undertake. This is a pair of Audrey's favorite Levis....the knees were completely ripped out. I plan on making a tiered skirt out of the top of the pants by adding layers of cotton - I had a devil of a time getting her to select a fabric yesterday. Over 3000 bolts to choose from and she can't find anything she likes...what's wrong with her? Is she a genetic mutant?

I've never done this before - we'll see how it works out. The acutal test will be will she really wear it?

I'm venturing into uncharted territory....

11 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Give it to your friend and don't worry about it any more!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Hedgehog said...

As long as a friend is willing to take it off your hands, no harm done! The fabrics are gorgeous. Live and learn!

11:24 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

If you've got someone who'll enjoy it, GIVE IT AWAY... if you didn't, sew the strips together for piano key border at some future point... Abandon ship when the ship is sinking!!! :-)

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the story with the jeans?

In the past I have taken similar projects and turned them quilt into backs.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Duh! Forgot I put the picture up. Have edited the post to include the story!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

If you don't like the blocks, I would do something else with them. Personally I would make something else - but if you are willing to part with it to an accepting friend, then by all means, give it away.
What a smart idea to turn the favorite jeans into a skirt. Hope you find the perfect fabric soon.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the quilt is gorgeous. Your friend is lucky!

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blocks might work with sashing ...

9:43 PM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

I'd be tempted to move all the dark to one side of the logs, and the lights to the other, to re-work it. :)

Good luck on the jeans skirt!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Since you have the strips cut, why don't you just sort them and wait for another inspiration? Do you have boxes of strips like Bonnie Hunter's?

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there's someone willing to take it on and love it pass it on. Gorgeous fabric deserves someone who loves it. Good luck with the jean skirt.

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home