Saturday, August 26, 2006

At Loose Ends

I'm at loose ends. I have a project for work that I need to be sewing on.....but.....the focus fabric hasn't been delivered yet. I really can't select colors or do anything on it until Monday when the fabric should be here.

I finished the applique on my Lori Smith small quilt. It needs border squares - perhaps I'll dig through the stash for that tomorrow.

After dinner tonight, I had about an hour and a half to sew until I had to pick up Audrey from a friend's house.

I had begun machine quilting this quilt a couple of weeks ago when I ran out of brown thread. Of course, it was a color that we don't carry in the store. So I special-ordered a box of thread and it was backordered! The thread finally arrived and I finished the quilting and bound it this evening.

This piece is 16" x 24" and is fused applique and machine quilted. DOMESTIC machine quilted.... and man, do I need to gain some more skill. It's a totally different process than longarm quilting. My head knows what I want my hands to do, but there's a certain disconnect in the execution. I guess it's like anything. You have to do a lot of it before things become smooth.

I'm now off to bed. My eyelids weigh 20 pounds a piece.

7 Comments:

Blogger Hedgehog said...

I just love the bright colors in that first picture!

1:08 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

sounds like you've got held up a couple of times, but they're coming together... :)

1:43 AM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

Glad your thread came in! The flowers look very realistic.

And for your last sentence... can you just imagine what you'd look like with 40 pounds of eyelids on your face? Ewww. :)

2:15 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

I really like that Lori Smith quilt. Is that the whole thing or will it have a border?
I haven't tried to machine quilt on my domestic since I got the longarm. I don't think my body would let me do it anyway. lol

6:31 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Two very different blocks, but both are lovely.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Both of your projects look great. I don't applique nearly as much as I should, and I just got a book from the library asbout the dimensional flowers. Congratulations on finishing a quilt. I can't see the quilting detail, but it looks good to me. Maybe you are harder on yourself than you should be.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

Really love the colors in your Lori Smith block. Can hardly wait to see what you'll do next with this!

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home