Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Art of Procrastination

I have a dual personality, it seems. On the one hand, I am never idle. I can accomplish many things in a small amount of time. On the other hand, I can put off certain things indefinitely. Unfortunately, for me - procrastination is a dramatically downward spiral. When I finally decide to do whatever it is I have put off forever, I then wonder if it's even worth doing - because I know it will take longer to get it done than if I had just started it when I was supposed to. Surely I am old enough to know this lesson - yet I keep repeating the cycle.

Like blogging. It's been forever since I have posted. I read my blog lists every day (and sometimes more than once a day). I ENJOY when people put a new post on their blogs. Every day I think - "I really need to put a new post on my blog". I write blog posts in my head. I sit at a computer most of the day. Why can't I just get this done? I don't have my camera with me. I forgot to take a photo of something. I'm just too tired once there's a bit of quiet time. Whatever the excuse, I seem to find it. Then I start comparing myself to other bloggers - "Well, SHE hasn't posted a new post since November 20 - so I'm not THAT bad about posting." The procrastination continues. Why? This blog is a voluntary thing. There are no grades or monetary ramifications. However, I feel a certain amount of responsibility to my small readership base. And I apologize profusely for my procrastination. Is all this way too deep for a Thursday morning? Can I blame it on the margaritas from last night?

So, let's play catch-up. Since we last met, I have begun sewing on a block-of-the-month sample for the shop. I have appliqued (5) 12" blocks and pieced (4) 12" blocks and (4) 6" blocks. I have made 29 fabric postcards for my Christmas cards - all have been adressed and mailed except 2. I have become the homework monitor since I found out that Audrey is slightly behind the 8-ball and the semester is rapidly coming to a close. I have endured and recovered from a computer crash at work. I have written and published a 6-page newsletter. I have done a marginal amount of Christmas shopping, but nothing's wrapped. I sometimes feel like George Jetson - 'Jane! Get me off this crazy thing!". I am SO ready for January and the end of the silly season.

But I have no pictures for today. My camera's downstairs and some other photos are on my computer at work. But stick with me. This post is a first step. I think I can conquer my procrastination.

7 Comments:

Blogger PamKittyMorning said...

I can totally relate to this post! You've gotten a ton done! I'm impressed. Do you have people who also make samples for the shop or is it all you? I know it seems never ending at times!

Merry Christmas!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

I think we all do this at least from time to time. Funny - one of my ways of procrastinating is thinking "I need to write a post for my blog first" !!!

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Lordy, this hits much too close to home. I'm not sure that I can match your list of 'have dones' though.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've gotten tons done...getting my newsletter done for the shop is usually more than I can face...I put it off until my feet are to the fire.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you realise that you've had your blog just short of a year? No, blogging is not compulsory but you do have people that miss you and I like to see the quilts (not that I see so many here these days)

from one of the readership base..

1:16 AM  
Blogger Carol E. said...

It was very entertaining reading your thoughts about blogging and such. My opinion is, just do what you want, when you want. We'll take what you offer. I sometimes feel like I have such a boring blog, and everyone else is so interesting, funny, clever. Why should I bother even to write anything? That's what bothers me more than procrastinating (which I also sometimes do). If it weren't for the Mavericks ring I would have stopped producing my boring blog, but I enjoy the rest of you too much. Can't give it up!

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could be the margaritas ... they definitely can alter your state of mind ... and they're sooooo yummy! I too can be a procrastinator. But the upside of that is that when you do finally do the thing you've been putting off, the sense of achievement is something else!
Hang in there, we're here for you!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home