Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

I haven't written in the last couple of days because I really didn't think you'd be all that interested in haircuts and orthodontist appointments and the other really mundane things going on right now. I've spent the past 2 nights basting circles for a quilt for our booth at the Dallas Quilt Show. I've already made a quilt just like it, but I need a second one, because the first one will be published in a national magazine in May and the publishing company has the original.

We worked today on pulling fabrics for another quilt for our booth. We are going to feature Kaffe Fassett fabrics again, and need some fresh samples. Remember the magic lanterns quilt I posted a few days ago? I'm thinking of re-working it in a new color scheme. We started out pulling pastels....then we tried to find a background fabric that would complement yet contrast. Little specks of color that you don't notice when looking at the fabric by itself suddenly "POPS".

We tried turquiose. The turquoise in all the fabrics popped. We tried purple. Same thing. We tried pink, orange, blue, salmon, etc. It was freaky! That's the magical thing with Kaffe's fabrics. They are chameleons. The we finally tried RED. Every little speck of red suddenly started waving at us - "Here we are! Look at us!" Okay. I think I like it. It's out there. I mean, REALLY out there. Then I began the dialogue in my head - should I go the risky route and make a quilt that customers are going to really like or really hate, or do I try again for something more middle-of-the-road and commercially acceptable? I'll probably go for the risky version. If nothing else, it will be noticed. What do you think? Have I finally gone off the deep end?





Last night while trying to explain to Audrey why she needed a seam allowance on the pieces of fabric she was cutting out, I found these. I bought these stamps at the Dallas show last year and began hand piecing these little flowers/stars out of my Kaffe Fassett scraps. I probably have about 30 of them done. I guess this counts as a UFO, huh?

I've been subliminally avoiding counting my handwork projects as UFO's because I know that I can't finish them any time soon. I work on them when I'm out and about (like orchestra class) or when I'm too dog-tired to work at the machine. I like handwork, but the prep time is what slows me down. I need a prepping fairy. Any volunteers?

Now on to my soapbox of the day. I just heard that "Book of Daniel" has been pulled by the network. I am SO disappointed. I thought this show was very funny. Of course, I realize that it was a SATIRE. I found it to be a hilarious tongue-in-cheek look at the foibles of the human condition. I did not find it sacreligious or blasphemous. It was a SATIRE. Just because it's on TV doesn't make it true. You can have murder, adultery, and Fear Factor on prime time, but not "Book of Daniel". When did our world become so narrow? Perhaps a cable channel will pick it up.

Stepping of the soapbox and returning to basting circles now.

Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home