Saturday, February 18, 2006

A Little of This, A Little of That...

BRRRRR! We're having a couple of days of winter here in North Texas. It was 82 degrees on Thursday afternoon and today it was 26 with a winter advisory for sleet and ice. You know what they say about the weather in Texas - if you don't like it, stick around and it'll be different tomorrow.


I spent Thursday morning quilting this quilt as a sample for the Dallas quilt show. Diane did the applique. Hard to believe I was sweating (literally) while doing it.












Here's a close-up of the blocks. I thought this would show the quilting better - I guess I don't have the right kind of side lighting to show all the texture.


Do you remember when I showed the fabrics for this quilt but wasn't quite sure about the red? My good-best friend Pam made the sample for me and I LOVE the red! What do you think? Of course, it looks even better in person.

I've been spending a lot of time upstairs in my recliner watching the Olympics - it's much warmer up here. But tonight, I braved the cold because I wanted to sew at the machine. My sewing room is on the northeast corner of the house, and with 2 walls of windows, it tends to be a little chilly when the wind is blowing. After binding the flower quilt, I decided that I wanted to play a bit with string piecing. I love string quilts and have even lectured at area quilt guilds with my quite extensive vintage string quilt collection. My only problem with string piecing is I tend to make a giant mess while doing it. I have two HUGE tubs of strings and what you see on the sewing table is just a couple of handfulls. YIKES! I could piece string blocks for the next two years! My goal for this session is 12 of the blocks like the one next to the machine. I made 7 tonight. I'm supposed to take Audrey to Mrs. Johnson's house for a private violin lesson tomorrow, but I think I'm going to cancel. I want to spend the day in my sweats sewing - not running around town in the bitter cold. I know some of you just laugh at 25 degrees, but to this born-and-bred Texan, I don't handle winter well at all. My feet are always cold.

I think I'll take a hot bath before I jump into bed.

Have a great Sunday,
Susan

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the big, bold, and beautiful flower quilt--Diane did a good job appliqueing them. Looks like a quick project, too. :-)

3:30 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

I love the flowers & the lanterns - I have that quilt as a UFO... (My brain is not ready for the triangles...) How was your lantern quilt quilted?

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home