Sunday, July 23, 2006

Ketchup

What a whirlwind week and a half! To begin with, I went from driving this.....


To driving this......

Yup. I got a new car - a Honda Element! I purchased the Ford Excursion right after opening my business as a tax break and also because we thought we might be doing a number of quilt shows. But, at this point, quilt shows are more trouble than they're worth and the price of gas was killing me. I've been thinking about getting a more gas-efficient car for a couple of months now - and once I started test driving there was no turning back. I LOOOOOOOVE this car - it handles so nicely and I can pull directly into any parking space I want! And it's such a cool color (kiwi green). I am no longer driving a bus and it's a good thing! We're going to take it on a trip to the Texas coast next week, so we'll see how it handles on a long-distance adventure.


This is a picture of my finished block from Becky Goldsmith's workshop last week. I took this workshop for a couple of reasons:
1) Becky is a friend of mine and I thought it would be fun.
2) I really wanted to learn how she pieces curves together that have been paper pieced.

The first day of the workshop concentrated on the paper pieceing of the arcs. I have paper pieced before, but Becky's method was easier and made more sense. At the beginning of the day, she stated that we would probably only get a quarter of the block done - not the whole thing. Diane and I looked at each other and thought - "Alrighty then. A gauntlet's been thrown down!". We pieced furiously and I had mine ALMOST finished by 4:00. I came home Wednesday night and put the finishing touches on it. The center circle in the photo was an audition fabric - I have since put a salmon pink circle on the block.



The second day was dedicated to learning applique the "Piece O' Cake way". This was going to be an old dog, new tricks kinds of day. I've been appliqueing fairly successfully for several years and I've seen their DVD on applique and I was skeptical that I could change my ways. But I was determined to have an open mind and at least try their way for the day. And you know what? I learned a thing or two! I will probably incorporate some of their techinques into my applique repetoire. I was really pleased that my outer circle actually looks like a circle without any flat spots or points. If nothing else, I am no longer reluctant to applique circles.

I spent today piecing my Lady of the Lake blocks into a quilt top. I even dug around in the closet for backing fabric, but I ran out of steam before loading the quilt on the machine.

I'll leave you with a garden photo. This is an Angel's Trumpet that I planted as a baby plant this spring. Isn't it wonderful! The white thing hanging in the window is my flannel design sheet....

Have a great week!
Susan

14 Comments:

Blogger dot said...

The Element will be my next car, but I want an orange one. You have been a very busy girl. Did You sleep at all?

9:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the new car. I have an expedition and dream of an excursion but with these gas prices I don't think my dream will come true for quite awhile! Love the blocks you did, such bright colors!

5:50 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Love the blocks! Are you going to make the whole quilt?

6:23 AM  
Blogger sewprimitive karen said...

I've test driven the Element, and want to get one in a year or two, and I want the Kiwi color. Are you going to hose it out to clean it like they say you can do LOL?? Your circular block and circle applique are both wonderful.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Oh! Is Becky doing any workshops in the Atlanta area? I'd love to learn how to do that block.

7:53 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

I just love the paper pieced wheel! How did you do it!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Congratulations on the new car. That block looks beautiful - and you are so speedy making it too.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Wow, that angels trumpet really loves that spot!

Hope you enjoy your zippy new car. I think that you will see a noticable difference at the gas pump!

Your circle is great! So, it takes 1 day of fast and furious sewing, eh? Maybe not a pattern for me to make, but I certainly enjoy seeing your results!

Cheers!

Evelyn

4:17 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I have that DVD and I love all the tips. I use quite a few...but I can't hold my needle their way. Nope. Just don't work like that.

Great job on the blocks, very nice. Cool color car!

12:08 PM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

Beautiful garden and great Element! Do they come with an element man?

11:12 PM  
Blogger Tazzie said...

Wow, your block looks just amazing! When I look at that block, I can't really even imagine how you put it together. Good job!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

7:01 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I am dying to make this quilt. How lucky that you got to do the workshop with Becky...how wonderful. Your block looks great!

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your block from becky's workshop is stunning!

12:43 PM  
Blogger Passionate Quilter said...

I love that block! I love all their quilts/books, etc. But I really want to do that one. How fun for you to be taught directly by them.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home