Thursday, August 24, 2006

Quilt In A Week (More or Less.....)

Isn't it funny how priorities can change in an instant, depending upon circumstance?

I bought the kit and pattern for this quilt at the Dallas Quilt Show back in March from Bonnie Blue Qulits out of Houston. Believe it or not - this is the first KIT I have ever purchased! I fondled it, petted it, and put it in its own rubbermaid container to wait for "someday".

Fast forward 5 months and we are now going have a Bonnie Blue Quilts trunk show during Shop Hop the weekend after Labor Day. This particular quilt is not in the trunk show. But wait! What if I made my kit by then? We could have another quilt for display!

I began cutting on Friday night, August 11. I finshed the binding on Sunday, August 20. That's little more than a week for a 76" x 76" quilt with a lot of little bitty pieces! My "someday" kit is now turned into a quilt!

I've been hand-appliqueing a small quilt in between work and Audrey's activities this week. What I SHOULD be doing is making the sample for September's Strip Club. But I am waiting on the setting fabric to arrive before I select my strips. Again, priorities are set by circumstance.

I remember fondly the days of when I could pick and choose what I sew.....and when I sewed it!

10 Comments:

Blogger Hedgehog said...

The quilt turned out so nicely!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Sounds like it was a good incentive to make the top in anycase! Yup - plans change - sure is good to be flexible! And - you got a beautiful top for your efforts (and an empty Rubbermaid container for the next project!).

Cheers!

Evelyn

6:21 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

It's a beautiful quilt. Aren't you glad something occurred that caused you to get out the kit, start it and finish it?

7:06 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

you did a great job once you identified the quilt as a priority :-)

8:55 PM  
Blogger May Britt said...

I love stars and this quilt is beautiful. And you did it so fast.
I now the feeling "What I should be doing" instead of what I am doing now. I also should be making samples for my classes. But there is so many other things.....

12:48 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

I am SO impressed with that quilt and your timeline. Not to mention, it turned out beautifully.
When you have a priority, you really lay on the gas, don't you?

6:37 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Nice quilt! (I know local shop owners who wish they could be so productive.)

7:48 AM  
Blogger ForestJane said...

That's a quick quilt! I've never done one from a kit before... Are all the fabrics selected and all the pieces already cut for you?

6:09 PM  
Blogger Katjaquilt said...

Your quilt is beautiful. It looks great.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Its a beautiful quilt, and I am amazed at how quickly you were able to get it done. You're a quilting speed demon!

I rarely buy kits, because I don't want my quilt to look like everybody elses, but I do have a couple that I just had to have, and they are calling me.

My priorities do change in an instant; maybe that is why I have so many unfinished projects!

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home