Sunday, October 22, 2006

A Day at the Texas State Fair

Howdy, folks (said in a deep baritone voice). This is Big Tex welcoming you to the Texas State Fair. Today was the last day of the fair and we finally got around to going.


After eating the requisite corny dog upon arrival, we wandered to the new car exhibits. I don't know why - we're not in the market for a new car. At the Jeep area, there was a climbing wall for kids. Audrey LOVES climbing walls. When it was her turn, I took out my camera and she scampered up the wall so fast I couldn't keep the camera focused! This was the best of the bunch - but she looks like she's headless!

We stumbled across this photo op - Audrey refused to play, so I handed her my camera and Russ and I stepped in. I thought it was kind of fitting since my husband works for a dairy!


Here's a shot of Elsie the Cow. Yes, she works for the competitor (Borden's). But she's so cute I had to take her picture. But we never did figure out why she has a chain and a lock wrapped around her head.....


The biggest draw at the petting zoo was this red kangaroo with a baby joey sticking out of her pocket. Kinda cool, yet kinda creepy, too.

After wandering all over the midway looking for the fried Twinkies (Russ' idea - not mine), Audrey begged to ride a ride. At $5 a pop, I try to discourage it. But, it is the state fair, so I agreed to one ride. Big problem - she won't ride alone. Since I was the one who HADN'T just eaten the fried Twinkie, I was elected. As they strapped us in, I leaned over to Audrey and whispered in her ear....."Does this not show you how much I love you?". The ride was okay with a minimum of motion sickness. Thank goodness she settled for one ride.

Here's a shot of the world's largest pig - over 1100 pounds. I guess he ate too many fried Twinkies.

Oh, and by the way. I quilted next month's Strip Club quilt this morning.
All in all, it was a pretty productive day.


13 Comments:

Blogger Tazzie said...

What a super fun day ... I can't even imagine what a fried Twinkie would be like! I love the strips, super!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm, i just read about fried twinkies on notmartha.org, sounds good!

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also having problems with the concept of a fried twinkie. I love the stips, the colours are spectacular.

3:32 AM  
Blogger Gail said...

Fried twinkie???? Even straight from the pack, they don't taste like they used to 'when I was a girl'. Fried????????

7:58 AM  
Blogger dot said...

Looks like you had a great time. The strip quilt is beautiful.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So did you pet the roo? (My husband & I both enjoyed petting the roos - they are so soft.)

All I can think about on that pig are his.... & how big they must be on such a hefty porker.... (Sorry that can from my inner 9-year old boy)

9:40 AM  
Blogger bingo~bonnie said...

you are so lucky you and your family got to go enjoy the state fair. We didn't get the chance again this year :(

That pig is so HUGE it looks like he is too tired to even stand up.

I love your strip Club quilt - looks similar to a Chineese Coin quilt I saw once. Also I have heard where people do these and add one strip every day for a whole year. This would be a great friendship type of quilt too where everyone shared their scraps with each other.

I bet your strip club has a lot of fun together. Do you all do a different quilt every month? ~Bonnie

10:23 AM  
Blogger Paula, the quilter said...

Love the strip quilt, but then, I am partial to that style of quilt. You can see the one I made here. Same pattern but the difference in the two quilts is so great!

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elsie's lock and chain explained by one site.

2:14 PM  
Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

Strip quilt looks great...the state fair looks soooo American! Love it!
Siobhan

11:17 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Thanks for telling us about your day at the fair. Sounded like a lot of fun. That strip club quilt is really pretty. I like the large variety of fabric you used in it.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me wish I had gone to the fair this year!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, love your quilts, by the way the kangaroo has a pouch not a pocket. It alway amazes me how big the joeys are and yet they can still get into mum's pouch. They start off the size of a peanut, pink and hairless. Vicki from Australia

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home