Monday, May 08, 2006

Weekend Update

This past weekend was all about Audrey. The Spring orchestra concert was Saturday afternoon. Audrey performed so well at Friday's practice that she was designated Concert Mistress for this performance. Basically, what this means is that she got to sit in the first chair in the first violin section. For a child who acts like she'd rather do anything else but practice - she can sure step it up when push comes to shove. She's the blond with the ponytail sitting front and center.












They played 2 songs with 2 different conductors.

We then listened to 5 other groups. I don't know about you, but a lot of classical music all sounds the same after the first hour....or maybe the different directors' tastes are all the same. I know for a fact that orchestral music doesn't always have to be stuffy. Is it a snob factor? Is traditional classical literature deemed "better" than "pops"? Don't get me wrong - I still support the program and am proud that Audrey plays. But, if you're going to have families with children of all ages held hostage at a student concert for 2 hours, for goodness sakes, play something fun!

After the concert, we took Audrey out to dinner and the mall for her birthday (which is actually today - she turned 11). When we got home, we broke out the electronic piano we got her. When she asked for it, I asked her if she was going to want lessons to go with it. "Nope", she replied. Okey-dokey. She played on that thing for 3 hours Saturday night until I finally had her turn it off so that I could go to sleep.

Sunday morning we set out her new bicycle. She glanced at it, said "Cool.", and then wandered into the living room to play on her piano. She has played every piece of violin and recorder music she owns. She has memorized "The First Noel". I came home from work tonight and she was playing "Happy Birthday" for herself. I even caught her playing her Wolfhardt etude excercises which she HATES. What's up with that? I think this is the longest she has ever played with anything new. But I bet you money, if we invested in lessons (with real practice), she'd drop it like a hot potato. I think we are so much alike (but she's more stubborn) that she fights me just to yank my chain. And I let her. Oh vey. The teenage years ought to be a lot of fun around here......



I spent most of Sunday at the shop doing paperwork and cleaning my office. I needed quiet, dedicated time to actually FINISH a few tasks.

When I got home, I continued working on cleaning out my book case for the employee garage sale at the shop on the 19th and 20th. Here's a picture of the basket of books I am no longer in love with. There's a lot of classic titles by classic authors. Maybe I'll make enough money to buy myself an iPod.


Here's a look at the bookcase now. Didn't really get to the top shelf, but the rest of it looks much better. What's surprising is that there's not as much free space as I think there should be! Just ignore the basket of scraps on the floor waiting to be cut into proper sizes. I'll get to that sooner or later.....

I put my Buggy Barn flower blocks together tonight and maybe I'll get it quilted this week. Will post a pic when it's done. It was good to actually sew on the machine.

Must go to bed now -

4 Comments:

Blogger ForestJane said...

Wow, congrats to Audrey! And Happy Birthday too!

Tell her now that she has the piano, she'll have to play the violin with the left hand, and hold the bow with her right foot... and play the piano with her left foot and right hand. :)

1:02 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

If you have time, check some of the title on ebay... I know old Elly S. Applique books can sell for big bucks ($300 for example)!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Not sure if I've seen the BB flower blocks. I don't really like their fabric (their shop is close to me) but I sure to like their patterns. Can't wait to see it!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

A big woo hoo to Audrey and her title of "Concert Mistress". You should be so proud of her!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home