Friday, January 04, 2008

A Day on the Town

Audrey and I spent yesterday shopping in downtown McKinney. Surrounding the old downtown area are antique malls and boutique shops - we were specifically looking for a vintage vanity table.

Did you know there's a lot of crap these days in antique malls? We tried to decide which was our favorite.



She liked the ceramic owl statue (for $55 , at that....).



I preferred the neon ceramic Aztec bird bookends. I was so taken with them that I forgot to see how much they were... Do you think Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte would be appalled?

I must say, this was by far my favorite sign. Think we could get away with it at the shop?



We also visited an upholstery shop - I just wanted to see if there was anything that would be appropriate for Russell's new office. No go -but in the trim room (yes, there was a whole room of trim), I saw these and were fascinated.


I have no idea what you would put them on, but they were in Kaffe-like colors -so I had to take their picture.

I also uncovered this vintage quilt hanging over a metal quilt rack.


My guess is 1880's - and the $895 price tag reflected that. The only sad thing is that the harsh metal ends of the rack have rubbed the fabric into shreds. Here's a close-up a set of blocks - the logs finish at about 1/2".



We also saw this cute pillow - and oh so easy! The strips of fabric were cut on the bias and stitched down the middle with the right side facing the base fabric. Then the strip was folded over the seam so that the right side showed. The edges of the strips weren't finished off or anything.



Then there was this....thing. It's a pillow with 3-D roses on it. I didn't know whether to be intrigued by it or afraid of it. You be the judge.



And yes, we did look at vanities. It was kind of a Goldilocks and the 3 Bears kind of expedition. Too expensive, not enough drawers, drawers too deep - yadda, yadda, yadda.

Audrey really liked this one - but it was really beat up and it sat so low that I felt she wouldn't be happy with it once the "cool" wore off. It just wasn't practical.



This was the first one we found - Audrey didn't really like, but we took a second look before we went home. There was another lady that we had seen in several other places that was also looking at vanities. This one was $100 less than anything else out there and it has 6 drawers. Once Audrey was convinced that we could paint it red (once the weather warms up a bit) and that if we didn't buy it then, the other lady would, she decided that it would be perfect!

Sometimes you just have to know how to work the teenage mind....LOL! We'll pick it up this weekend.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carol E. said...

I love the vanity! Can we see it after it gets painted? As for the "rose pillow" - I'm afraid of it!

9:14 PM  
Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

Great mirror on the vanity! I had one growing up and loved it!

And yes, Jane would be embarrassed to have her books between those birds! What were they thinking?!
Siobhan

3:13 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I saw that same children/free kitten sign in a quilt store here the other day! My daughter was all excited because she thought she really was gonna get a a kitten! Until she remembered that I am allergic to cats! Make sure you show us the vanity after you get it painted!

7:37 AM  
Blogger julieQ said...

I like that sign. I want to come visit your shop! Only live about 1 hour away...

Julie

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not Fair!!! Jealous older sister here.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home