Wednesday, January 23, 2008

It's Official......

......I am a slob.

Now this is not news to my closest friends. Nor is it really news to me.

My sewing room is so out of sorts that I'm not able to really function. This is my place of refuge - sewing calms me down and relieves stress for me. When it's this bad, it's not a happy place. I've been blowing and going on projects since October (and trust me - the place wasn't all that tidy before that). It's time to step back and deal with the mess before moving forward.

This is my cutting table after one whole night of putting stuff away. It's still cluttered.

One of my earliest blog entries was in January 2006 - scroll through it... see the corner that's all clean? See the last blue tub on the sewing table needing to be cut down into scrapsaver sizes?

Two years later - here's my reality. See the blue tub? It still has the original scraps in it plus more on top. See the corner? See the additional overflowing box? Good gravy! If I wasn't so "thrifty" (translation: cheap), I would chuck it all and start over. I love scrap quilts, and am a true believer that I can create really cool things out of leftovers and trash. It's not the value I would be throwing away; it's the possiblities.


Okay. So the challenge is to cut up all the scraps so that I can actually clean the floors. But wait! The most popular size of strips these days is 2-1/2". My 2-1/2" strip bin is almost full! Whatever should I do?


Okay. Here's the plan. I printed off a couple of patterns from Bonnie's Quiltville site that uses 2-1/2" wide pieces. I'll make a couple of leader/ender kits as I go! That's the ticket!

But do I really have the time this idea will take? Probably not, but I'll give it my best shot.

And then we find a compromise.

6 Comments:

Blogger antique quilter said...

Wow I see lots of quilts in your future!!!!!
what fun though, its hard keeping the sewing room clean when all you want to do is sew!
you could always bag up the strips and sell them! but I like the idea of making lots of quilts from Bonnies site!
Kathie

2:38 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Imagining the possibilities is always the fun part! If I were you... I would get at least 1 more tote for your strips and as you cut - sort them... warms & cools or lights & darks or get more totes and sort by color. I find that by tackling things in 10 minute increments only - the job goes much faster than I realize. Also - even if you might be tempted to shove it all away, I find it best to really find a home for each and every item and then I don't waste time looking for it later. You can do this! You deserve to have a peaceful sewing room you do so much!

Cheers!

Evelyn

6:03 AM  
Blogger atet said...

I have to agree with you about the scraps and not wanting to throw them away. You're farther along than I am though, you actually have bins for some of yours -- mine are all tossed willy nilly into bins and bags. I really do need to get a system set up! Good luck with the clutter reduction.

11:43 AM  
Blogger YankeeQuilter said...

The way I look at it as long as the mess doesn't get in the way of quilting then it is a good mess!

I am also using up some 2-1/2 inch strips with one of Bonnie's patterns - the around the world. I am happy with how it is coming along!
Sio

5:51 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Thanks for posting your pictures. It makes me feel better to know I'm not alone with my sewing room mess. Some days I wonder if there is a floor in there. Have fun with your strips.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, heh. I win. That actually looks neat to me!

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home